Understanding Pedestrian Injuries
Every day, countless individuals traverse cities and towns on foot, whether it’s to commute, exercise, or simply enjoy a leisurely stroll. The fundamental right of every pedestrian is to do so safely. However, accidents happen, and given the unprotected nature of pedestrians compared to motor vehicle occupants, the results can be catastrophic.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Injuries
- Distracted Driving: With the rise of smartphone usage, distracted driving has become a leading cause of pedestrian accidents. A momentary glance at a text can lead to severe consequences for an unsuspecting pedestrian.
- Impaired Driving: Alcohol or drugs impair judgment and reaction times. Intoxicated drivers pose a significant risk to everyone on the road, especially pedestrians.
- Failure to Yield: Crosswalks are designed to provide pedestrians a safe passage. However, drivers who fail to yield or ignore traffic signals can cause serious accidents.
- Speeding: A higher speed reduces the driver’s reaction time and increases the severity of injuries in the event of a collision.
- Poor Infrastructure: Inadequately designed or maintained roads, sidewalks, and crosswalks can increase the risks for pedestrians.
The Severity of Pedestrian Injuries
Unlike vehicle occupants, pedestrians lack protective barriers. As a result, injuries sustained tend to be severe, including:
- Head and Brain Injuries: From concussions to traumatic brain injuries.
- Fractures and Broken Bones: Often requiring surgery and prolonged rehabilitation.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Leading to potential paralysis or chronic pain.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Such as sprains, tears, and other muscle injuries.
Legal Recourse for Pedestrian Injuries
Pedestrians have rights. If injured due to the negligence of a driver or due to poor infrastructure, they may seek compensation for medical bills, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, and emotional trauma. However, proving negligence and navigating the legal intricacies requires expertise.
Contact Osterhout Berger Disability Law
At Osterhout Berger Disability Law, we recognize the unique challenges faced by injured pedestrians. Our team of dedicated attorneys brings a wealth of experience in handling pedestrian injury cases in Florida. We strive to ensure that victims receive the maximum compensation and the justice they deserve. If you or a loved one has suffered as a pedestrian, allow us to walk beside you on the path to recovery and justice. Contact us today, and together, we’ll step forward towards a brighter future.